Posts Tagged ‘table salt’
February 18, 2013 by Jenn
Salt, especially table salt, is one of the most accessible and inexpensive “5 Uses” that we’ve done so far. Your doctor may tell you that sodium is bad for you but there are lots of other ways that salt wan work in your favor. Here’s 5 of them.
1. Removing blood stains from fabric. Oops, your child cit themselves and got blood all over their brand new shirt. Don’t worry! Mix 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 cup peroxide into a bowl. Dip a rag into the mixture and blot the blood stain until it is soaked thoroughly. Let sit for about 10 minutes then throw it in the washing machine.
2. We all make mistakes. Maybe this time you put too much soap in the washing machine or maybe your washer just got a mind of it’s own and it now spilling over bubbles everywhere. Just add 1 cup of salt and watch the bubbles recede!
3. During the wintertime, especially in Baltimore, we often have frosty windows on our cars in the morning. Stop spending money on expensive window sprays to de-ice your car. Mix 1 cup salt with a gallon of warm water. Pour it on or use in a spray bottle. It’ll de-ice the windshield and keep it from icing up again all day.
4. Cooking on a time crunch? Add a few tsp of salt to a pot of boiling water depending upon how big of a pot you’re using. This will make the water boil at a much higher temperature. It won’t compromise the taste of your food and it will make the food cook faster, especially if that food is spaghetti.
5. Keep out the ants! If you have an ant problem in your home, don’t spend money on chemicals that will make your home oh-so-stinky. As it turns out, ants are a little prissy. They hate walking on salt. Pour salt by windowsills or doorways where the ants are making their entrance. It’ll keep them out.
I hope these tips are helpful for you. I love the idea of spending very little on an item like salt instead of lots of money on expensive products when salt will do an even better job. Salt will also keep your flowers fresh and extinguish grease fires. What a deal!