November 29, 2013 by Jenn
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Yesterday was the first Thanksgiving in a long time that I didn’t have Friendsgiving. This year I went with my boyfriend to his sister’s house to be with his family and the 2 newest additions to their family, his nieces Lola and Lorelei.
CUTE RIGHT? This is Lola.
Holidays can be stressful but I think Thanksgiving is tops on that list. There’s tons of family everywhere, babies crying, dogs running around, and your supposed to get a huge meal on the table by 3pm?! Yikes. Here’s a few tips I’ve learned along the way to having an organized (as possible) Thanksgiving Day!
1. Shop EARLY. Plan out your menu completely and don’t wait until the few days before Thanksgiving to buy all of your supplies. A. The stores will be mobbed and B. The special things you are looking for might already be purchased.
2. Prep as much as possible. The day before I always chop, dice, mince all veggies that can be prepped and place them in tupperware. I make all my pie crusts and organize all my ingredients. If you are nearly 100% prepped, cooking the day of will be a breeze.
3. Order your turkey early! The good stuff without hormones and bad stuff sells out fast.
4. Plan to have a cocktail hour of sorts that involves appetizers. This will keep everyone out of your hair while you are trying to cook and it will keep their hunger at bay. No one likes hungry cries coming from the living room of “IS IT READY YET??’.
5. Start a tradition for during dinner. Thanksgiving and Christmas are similar in the way that so much time and energy is spent for weeks trying to get all the details perfect and then it seems the actual day passes by in seconds. Make a tradition to keep your family and friends present during dinner. Go around the table and say why you’re thankful. Write down a bunch of questions about the holidays or what you hope for in the next year and have everyone answer one. It just helps people slow down and savor not only their food, but the time with their loved ones.
What is your families or friends Thanksgiving traditions?
November 5, 2013 by Jenn
So a couple weeks ago I was on the website for my favorite nerd website with tons of fun gadgets and toys for photographers, Photojojo. (It. Is. Awesome. Check it out) Anyhow. I came across this thing called a Lomography Film Scanner for your iPhone. What is this madness you say?!?! Well, it’s a little machine that helps you scan your film into your iPhone. WHAT? I’m old school. I’ve been taking photos with the help of my dad since I was 9 and I have a lot of film, like A LOT. So I ordered it immediately.
Photojojo is an amazing company for a ton of reasons (and no, no one paid me to say this) to buy their products. They have fun toys, an excellent shipping policy, AND my purchase came with a tiny dinosaur. Yep, perfect. So here’s how it works…
You have to download the app that accompanies the gadget but it’s free! Open up your app and select the option to take a photo. Next you turn on the little light and slide your negatives through the bottom. The app automatically inverts the image so it look correct to you on you iPhone screen.
So, once your negative is in the machine and your app is open and ready to go, all you have to is press the capture button and there you go! The photo will then be inside your phone to edit or instagram or tweet or Facebook or email or whatever fun internet thing you like to do with you photos.