January 13, 2013 by Jenn
I love hearty soups. January is one of those weird months in Baltimore where it doesn’t really feel like it’s part of a season, it’s just cold and dark all the time. That makes me want to hibernate, snuggle up with some movies, and eat lots of soup. Due to my intentions of eating healthier this year, I made this soup vegan but I will also tell you the alternate ways to make it vegetarian or filled with meat stuff. It’s pretty versatile.. and super delicious.
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 TBSP Vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 TSP cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 TSP sage
- 3 TBSP flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 TBSP chopped parsley
- 2 TBSP chopped chives
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
* for vegetarian substitute regular cheese and milk
** for meat eaters do same as above but also substitute chicken broth and add 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast.
- In a large pot over high heat melt the butter, stir in the first 5 ingredients. Saute a few minutes until the onion is softer.
- Sprinkle in the flour and evenly coat the potato and onion.
- Add the vegetable broth and the milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat and simmer, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Mix in the corn, chives, parsley, salt, pepper, and wine and return to a simmer.
- Remove the bay leaf and add in the cheese, stir until all the cheese is melted.
I’ve been making this chowder for years. It’s hearty and is bound to please everyone. It’s super easy to make and all together takes only an hour. It’s also freezable! Hello easy future lunches!!
You must be logged in to post a comment.